Date, cheddar & apple muffins
- 1 & 3/4 cups AP flour
- 1/4 cornmeal
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- one small (104ml) container of unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped dried dates
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare 12 muffin cups with liners or nonstick spray.
- Whisk all the dry ingredients together. You can sift them, but who has time for that? Also, I think the kids stole the sifter for the sandbox.
- In a separate bowl, add the eggs, applesauce, buttermilk and stir.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and being careful not to overmix, stir in the wet ingredients. Add in the dates, cheese, and apple and mix with 3-4 strokes.
- Divider the batter between the 12 muffin cups and bake in the middle of the oven for 18-20 minutes.
- You could substitute the applesauce with butter, but they taste rich and creamy without it!